TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord Renovation without Tenants Consent (before moveout)

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord Renovation without Tenants Consent (before moveout)

Postby MajorNYC » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:02 am

I live in New York City. My lease ends October 31 and I am vacating my rent stabilized apartment. On the night of October 20, my landlord informed me that he was going to have contracters fix some tiles in my bathroom during the day of October 21. When I got home during the night of October 21, I saw that the bathroom is being renovated much more than what was explained to me (ceiling replaced, all walls are being sanded, etc.). All of my bathroom items were moved out by the contractors into my bedroom. In addition, the contracters have moved all the items out of my kitchen into my bedroom and covered the floor with paper and left their items in my kitchen. They apparently are coming back October 22 and who knows how long this is going to last. I called my landlord who is apparently out of the country until next week!

I feel completely violated. I want free rent during this time period since I'm living in a contruction zone. In addition, they are using my electricity to do the renovation work. I know the landlord wants the apartment available for a new tenant November 1 but this is not my problem.

What are my rights? What should I do?
MajorNYC

Postby TenantNet » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:32 am

You have every right to stop this. I would put all your possessions back where they were, change the locks and turn them away. If they come in without permission, call the cops for trespass. Put a notice on your door that there is to be no entry. Also send a letter to the LL just to be on the safe side.

The LL must give you advance written notice, but must also describe the scope of any work that is to be done. See the access rules in the Forum Reference section.

In this instance, this isn't repairs, but preparing for the next tenant. He can do that after you move out.

If you've already paid your Oct. rent, there's probably not much you can do about that. And this kind of LL possibly will play games with your deposit. Since you're only ten days from moving out, all you can do is try to make the best of a bad situation, but you can draw the line.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Emeraldstar » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi All
Take dated pics of the condition of each room they have worked in as well as their remaining tools. Take dated pics of all rooms/cabinets etc. on your last day of tenancy also. If the LL witholds security dep. you'll have confirmation of retaliatory witholding.
Emeraldstar

Return to NYC General Discussion