TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Subtenant without a written agreement question.

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Subtenant without a written agreement question.

Postby Brooklyner » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 am

I was a subtenant without a written agreement. I vacated the property earlier than the agreed six months when it became apparent the property was not as the tenant represented; the tenant was served with a civil court summons a week after I moved in to answer +$7000 back rent debt to the landlord. This was not disclosed to me when I viewed the property or whenever I communicated with the tenant prior to moving in.

The court ordered her to repay the complete debt. She refused to disclose how she was going to repay. She was/is not working. It seemed like family was helping her out but whenever rent was due there was stress that she'd be able to cover what she owed.

With her agreement I moved out to a more secure living environment. She wrote me a check for my security which has bounced, she is now refusing to repay my security saying I broke our rental agreement.

Where do I stand in the case?
Brooklyner

Postby TenantNet » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:30 am

As her to produce a copy of the written agreement signed by both parties. Then consider if her "agreement" is worth more than the subsequent modification of the prior unwritten agreement.

That she initially wrote a check goes to your favor. The supposed reason is not because of some hidden damages that weren't discovered until later.

Unfortunately you'll probably have to go to the AG's office or Small Claims Court to get satisfaction.

The other stuff isn't really relevant.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion