TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

(Sublet) Help! Told me to move out, now claims I broke lease

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

(Sublet) Help! Told me to move out, now claims I broke lease

Postby vlition » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:11 am

One year sublease (Nov), Brooklyn duplex - landlords are neighbors. Formal agreement. Current on rent, right now.

I had a roommate I got along well with, until she started yelling at me for falling asleep on the couch (jet lag). It happened again, and she woke me up at 4:35am screaming, saying I had to buy the couch or move out.

I offered to buy the couch, she complained that wasn't good enough. I said fine, I would move out. We got into an argument over timing, whether Jan or Feb, and for a while. She wanted Feb, I wanted Jan (to get out of there).

After the fight, she told me orally that Jan was OK, because she had a friend. I sent her a hopefully reconciliatory email thanking her for 'understanding about the Jan thing.'

She later sent an email claiming I was breaking the lease, and that in no way did she imply that she was breaking it (she is a paralegal).

But in another email she said, that she has circulated word with friends, that I need to look for another place to live since month end is 19 days away and that she would formally let me know when she had found someone (perhaps the only clear evidence in my favor).

We argued further via emails of each of our version of the events of 4:30am, with me emphasizing that she told me I had to move out.

She also moved my personal effects repeatedly and entered my room without permission.

I have found a new place - the atmosphere here is terrible. I want to move, but it's tough to lose the security. Also, if she fills the room with someone, and then they leave - am I liable for the remaining months? If so, I will have to stay - I can't afford two places ...

The room is cold, too. I have complained about it before, email. Should I document habitability concerns with photos/thermometer?

Thanks so much for reading.
vlition

Postby ronin » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:58 am

Do a search on this site for illegal eviction. Tell her that she is a paralegal and can read the statute at work.

Also let her know that she can either let you out of the "lease" or you will stop paying and address this issue as a harassment case and stay there rent free while you fight her in court. (That ought to make a paralegal more amenable to a friendly goodbye in January. LOL).

Good luck...

PS. You're not totally clear about the sublease. If your name is on it with the Landlords, then your release has to come from them.
ronin

Return to NYC General Discussion