TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Moving out/apartment repairs and deposit question

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Moving out/apartment repairs and deposit question

Postby Doctor8 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:22 pm

Leaving my rented apartment next week. There are some recent issues that need to be fixed...the bathtub paint is peeling badly and needs refinishing; there are cabinet doors that need to be rehinged. Not much else. I expect that they will want to use my security deposit for that, which I accept. In my view the tub is not my fault, it could not have been prevented or stopped, just trying to clean it brings more peeling. Was thinking about fixing the cabinets but have run out of time. Should I just inform the mgt company in writing of these things ahead of time? And I expect them to keep my deposit but wondering if they will try to get more $$ from me. I estimate all this should be no more than $600. Thanks
Doctor8

Postby TenantNet » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:29 pm

Why accept it? Did you abuse either the tub or cabinets? Did you use them beyond their normal intended use? Tubs are for bathing and cabinet doors open and close. What else did you do, if anything?

Security deposits are for real damages, not for normal wear and tear. Things wear out with normal usage over time.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby LLcantmesswithme » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:05 pm

Hate to bump an old thread but I figured it was very similar to my situation.

Our tub is also an older tub and was about 99% perfect when we moved in last October but there were small areas that were peeling. I have notified the LL of this as of beginning of June via email and also sent that email with July 1st's rent check. I told the LL that the tub was peeling and needed to be resealed most likely.

We have not mistreated the tub but I fear that, since LL and we have bad blood from past issues, he will try to take anything he can from the SD.

How would I dispute this other than telling him it is normal wear and tear? Also, there is some black mold in the grout of the shower wall tiles that we can NOT get out with any cleaner or brush. Is this mistreatment? It gradually built up over time. We have cleaned the tub at least twice per month since we moved in.

Our lease is up at the end of September.

Thanks!
LLcantmesswithme

Postby Emeraldstar » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi All
At some point in time tile grout wears down and needs to be regrouted to prevent water from saturating the wall underneath. Regrouting will cover the mold & prevent more. When I have a paint job is when I ask for the bath tiles to be regrouted.
If your asking your LL for normal maitenance & they do no respond as long as it's documented I would assume that your covered should issues arise when you move. Much is made about tenant responsibilities towards a unit so it should work both ways.
Emeraldstar

Postby LLcantmesswithme » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:46 pm

I hear that. However, I never documented this mold and have tried every cleaner on it and still can't get it off. So, since we're moving out in the next couple of months, will LL try to pin the mold on me and charge me for cleaning/regrouting costs or can this be looked at as normal wear and tear?

Like I said, we were diligent about cleaning the tub and tiles but some just kept getting darker and darker with mold.

What are your thoughts on the pealing tub? Is that normal wear and tear? My LL may say we didn't take care of it but what proof does he have? Then again, what proof do I have that I did take care of it? It's kind of a catch-22.

Thanks!
LLcantmesswithme

Postby Emeraldstar » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:04 am

Hi All
No one can guess what a LL may or may not do. That said, you may not have much to worry about. Look at it this way, if you've been in an apt only a couple of years it would be normal wear. If someone has been renting for 5,10,15 years & never has anything done normal might be debateable.
Emeraldstar

Postby queensborough » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:51 am

A peeling bathtub usually means that it was painted somewhere along the way and they do start to peel eventually when you clean them on a regular basis. Mold and mildew on tile grout is pretty normal in a bathroom, and is almost impossible to remove completely, no matter how much you try to clean it.
queensborough

Return to NYC General Discussion