TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

getting out of lease

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

getting out of lease

Postby nyctenantnyc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:25 am

Hello,

I'd like some advice, tips, help, reccommendations.

My new husband was relocated to Seattle starting in mid-Feb. I am moving from NYC to Seattle but I'm having a hard time getting out of my NYC lease and I'm having a hard time subletting my apartment. On top of it I've been unemployed for a few months.

My building management absolutely refuses to help me and I'm not a broker so I don't know what to do to get someone to rent. I've been trying craigslist and a few others.

I'm using my savings to pay rent ($2350) for an apartment that I won't live in. What can I do to either get someone to rent it or get out of the lease? Do I have any rights considering I am unemployed and my husband was relocated?

I really need help.

Thank you!
nyctenantnyc

Postby TenantNet » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:39 am

Check your lease on issues of subletting and assignment. The Real Property Law gives you the right to sublet - but with restrictions and procedures. But your problem is finding someone.

In New York, tenants are normally responsible for the lease until it's expired or terminated. The LL can let you off (in writing). Or, if the LL breaches the lease, you can terminate it. The latter is usually due to some (substantial) warranty of habitability issue, i.e., bad conditions or denial of services. However, exercising that option might end with the LL taking you to court and getting a judgment against you.
Last edited by TenantNet on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby nyctenantnyc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:05 am

Thank you very much for your help. I will talk to management office again and I will keep trying to find someone to sublet.
nyctenantnyc

Return to NYC General Discussion