TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Potentially unsafe situation...is it legal?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Potentially unsafe situation...is it legal?

Postby someonenew » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:22 pm

Just moved into a new apartment in a new building. Everything seemed fine on both visits prior to signing the lease, but after some further exploration there seems to be a few potential safety issues that I didn't notice before.

This building has "community facility" space on the first through sixth floors and a separate entrance and elevator for this space. However, currently there are NO tenants of the "community facility" space whatsoever. It is completely empty and isn't even built out; it's raw space. The separate entrance is closed off and the elevator is not working on that side. Instead, the residential elevator opens onto the raw space and is accessible from that space. This space lacks lighting or any other crime deterrent (i.e. mirrors, cameras, security guards).

There is a potential safety problem here in that this kind of vacate space is a magnet for predators and it is completely open to the residential area of the building. Even if a tenant should appear for the "community facility," any employees or clients of the tenant would also have access to the entire residential portion of the building.

Additionally, the two fire exits on each floor of the building are unlocked from both sides. That means that anyone in the "community facility" space (whether intruder or tenant/client) has complete access to the residential portion of the building even if access to the elevators are shut off. This was apparently approved under the Fire Safety Plan.

I thought that in mixed use buildings all entrances to the residential portion must be behind an automatically closing and locking door. The building only has a temporary C/O, but there doesn't seem to be any concern over these potentially unsafe conditions. I say "potentially" because I know that the likelihood of something bad happening is relatively low at this point. I just want to know if the present configuration is really legal and, if not, what I can do about it, if anything.
someonenew

Return to NYC General Discussion