TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Roommate files HP action without me....what can I do?!?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Roommate files HP action without me....what can I do?!?

Postby ConceredTenat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:20 pm

I'm on a month to month lease but we all pay separately. We recently had water damage which put my one room mate outta the house, till its fixed. My landlord, filed insurance claim and we're waiting for the ajuster to come look at the damages before my landlord fixes anything. My room ate without my knowledge filed a HP action, but my landlord calls me very angry saying , it's considered a private home not a NYCHP so hes going to throw us all out, but my room mate won't answer my calls. I'm actually out of town this whole time and don't get back till Feb 1. I've talked with my room over email ate telling him to wait until to insurance adjuster inspects the damages and I get back to do anything. He tell me he's been adised "by i don't know who" to file HP action...but that he wasn't going to....but he did it anyway. What can I do, I don't have a lawyer and he wont respond?
ConceredTenat

Postby ronin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Legally?? That's a tough one.

My suggestion to you is to explain to the LL that you are not part of the action and will not participate. Let him know you sympathize with his plight and remain willing to wait for the insurance adjuster.

See, he can evict your roommate without evicting you. Highlight how great a tenant you are (and how much rent you pay and how hard it might be to find another wonder tenant like yourself) and that you are not trying to exploit a problem the LL is having. With any luck he will rescind his threat against you. That will help.

As for your roommate situation, at this point what's done is done. He really should not have gone ahead with that without advanced notice and a meeting of the minds. It is an unfair position he has put you in. Let him know that's how you feel and wash your hands of the situation (if you can get the LL to ease up on you).

Good luck!
ronin

Return to NYC General Discussion