TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Annoying LL

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Annoying LL

Postby billyc » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:38 pm

I just got a letter from my LL attorney saying that i owe $2200 for legal charges from LL taking me to court when he was trying to evict us. I have not lived in Apt. for 7 months now and am living in another state can LL do this ? the cases were settled before we even got to the judge I paid all rents due and am just surprised by the letter received. Apt. was rent controlled if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
billyc

Postby TenantNet » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:08 pm

Is the letter accompanied by an order of the court? I doubt it. Legal fees can be awarded ONLY by a court order. As you said, the case was settled. Was it settled by stipulation? Did the judge sign it, or "so-ordered" it? What exactly did the stipulation state?

The awarding of fees is usually done after a trial where the lawyer for the "prevailing party" states what the fees are and how they are calculated.

Also, as you are out-of-state, it would be difficult (although not impossible) for them to collect even if it was legit. Make sure you have no assets in New York state.

You can also report the attorney to the NYC Association of the Bar. Just make sure what they are claiming is not legitimate.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby ronin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:55 am

If the attorney is based in Manhattan or Bronx:

Departmental Disciplinary Committee for the First Department
61 Broadway, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10006
(212) 401-0800

If the varmint is located in Kings, Queens & Richmond Counties
Grievance Committee for the Second, Eleventh, and Thirteenth Judicial Districts
Renaissance Plaza
335 Adams Street, Suite 2400
Brooklyn, NY 11201-3745
(718) 923-6300
ronin

Postby billyc » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:04 pm

Thanks for the information folks no there was no order from the court with it , it just staated that he was going to put it on my credit report which i have been working very hard to get cleared up which we all know is not easy, but again thank you both for your help.
Billy
billyc

Postby TenantNet » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:17 pm

Legal fees can only be awarded by the court. This sounds like intimidation tactics. Even if he doesn't follow through, I'd report him to the Bar Association for unethical behavior.

BTW, chances are the unit was rent stabilized, not rent controlled. That makes no difference in your situation.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion