TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

How long after inspector....

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

How long after inspector....

Postby vinnyb » Sun May 15, 2011 12:35 am

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

My question is this:

If a building inspector comes and looks at an apartment and deems it illegal, is there a standard amount of time before he issues an eviction notice?

Long story short, I was served with a petition for non-payment. I have reason to believe that the apartment I'm in, is illegal.

1. There's only 1 electric meter for the entire building

2. The only other exit, goes to a crawlspace/storage area. (where the electric meter is) After going through the door, if I turn right, there's a stairwell that has a landing that has a door. That door goes to the ground floor, and is always locked

3. The DHPD lists my building as a 2 occupant dwelling, and I know of 3 apartments in my building - my apartment (the basement apartment), the ground floor, and the 2nd floor

I marked that option off on my petition response. When we went in front of the judge (or, more accurately, a judges assistant, not the judge himself), the assistant stated that he was going to schedule a building inspector to come by to look at my apartment.

Assuming he finds the apartment illegal, is there any estimate on how long I'd have before the eviction notice comes through? Is there usually a set amount of time? Or does it vary?

Thanks in advance
vinnyb

Postby TenantNet » Sun May 15, 2011 2:26 am

See this:
http://tenant.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4954

You might not have to pay any rent.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion