TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Full disclosure before renting

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Full disclosure before renting

Postby Harkey1234 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:20 am

Maybe some people can help on this. I recently signed a lease to move into a new apt the middle of June. When I saw the apartment, the reason I decided to rent it was the amenities. It is a top floor unit, with amazing views. Also there is a balcony. The rent is not cheap. I looked at the apt twice, and signed the lease and paid the deposit. I recently walked by the apt, and the entire building is covered in scaffolding and netting, blocking out all the views and the outdoor space, which enticed me to rent this unit. Can I break the lease based on the fact that not only was the information not disclosed to me, but the building has me paying top dollar for amenities that no longer exist?

thanks for your help.
Harkey1234

Postby TenantNet » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:39 am

Scaffolding and netting suggest the owner is making repairs to the facade of the building. Depending on the nature of the work, it's likely temporary in nature.

A view is not an amenity and there's no guarantee the view will continue to exist. What happens if a new building goes up next door blocking the view? That happens in NYC all the time.

I'd negotiate with the owner, but I don't think you can break the lease based on this complaint without some sort of penalty.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion