TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Succession Rights or Implied Knowledge

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Succession Rights or Implied Knowledge

Postby Foreignhelp » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:38 am

I need help for my mom's friend. She came in this country 29 years ago. When she came she lived with a cousin from 1982-1985. Cousin moved out bought his home, left her in apt. She has beeen living there since with her son who is now 26 years old (blind/mute). Lease has never been transfered to her name. At each renewal, cousin signs lease for her on his name not naming her as living there. Latest lease was sign in 2010. She always pays LL (used to be with money order, and for the past 15 years, her personal check with bldng address on top of check). Now she ask for a little repair for the 1st time in the apt bc apt is falling apart, she received letter of eviction within 30 days claiming she is a "licensee". What are her rights. She is 63 y/o.
Foreignhelp

Postby TenantNet » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:44 am

These get very complicated and she really should consult with a tenant attorney. I don't think she would qualify for succession rights as the prime tenant moved out many years ago. But a lawyer can tell you based on the complete picture.

On the other hand, she might have established tenancy rights as the LL is accepting her check.

Talk to a tenant lawyer.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion