TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Who Is My Landlord?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Who Is My Landlord?

Postby Loafer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:01 pm

I live month-to-month in a non-regulated Brooklyn apartment. I would like to sign a lease, but there are two people claiming to be the landlord. How do I determine whom I should enter into a contractual relationship with, and what are my rights and responsibilities in this situation?
Loafer

Postby TenantNet » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:09 pm

Go to the NYC Dept. of Finance page and use the ACRIS system to look up your building. Get the list of documents and search for the most recent "deed". If there are more recent documents not yet on the system, ask the parties if they have further proof of ownership.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Loafer » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:33 pm

ACRIS indicates that both people's names are on the deed. However, each person claims to have sole ownership of the building and is insisting that rent checks be made out to him alone.

Given that I know both person's names are on the deed, how do I determine which party to sign a new lease with? Each party is offering me different terms.
Loafer

Postby TenantNet » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:46 pm

This is what I would do. First, download the deed from Acris and print it out. Then go to each person individually and ask them if there's anything new that has not yet been registered with the city that gives them sole ownership or control of the premises, why they can claim control or if there's a partnership agreement or any court decisions if it's in litigation.

It behooves you to find out as otherwise if you pay the wrong person you might end up having to make it up to the right person.

You could also put it in escrow until they sort it out.

If you're really concerned I'd get some legal advice.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion