TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

What do I do when management won't help or even reply?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

What do I do when management won't help or even reply?

Postby gpmwalker » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:28 am

I've had an ongoing problem with a downstairs neighbor...never ending loud music, parties, pounding on walls, etc. for months. Management ignores my requests for help and tells me to call the police. The police tell me to report the problem to management (they have shown up on various occasions but the noise resumes the minute they leave). Three times these 'tenants' have allowed other people to live in the apartment with them, and also in place of them, for long periods of time without the management's knowledge. I reported this and still no change. It took me years to find an apartment I could afford in a decent area and now I have to put up with teens and 20-somethings who think they're living in a frat house. Do I have any recourse other than to move out?
gpmwalker

Postby TenantNet » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:40 am

You could withhold rent to get the LL to act, but if the LL is litigious, it might depend on the amount and value of your proof. I think you will also find the courts are not too friendly with tenants in such situations.

So make sure you've documented everything, and your complaints to the LL, make sure they're detailed and sent certified.

"other people to live in the apartment with them"

Tenants are allowed to have roommates

"and also in place of them"

That's subletting, and tenants have rights in this area as well.

If they are that loud, then other neighbors are likely to be mad. Strength in numbers.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby gpmwalker » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:41 pm

Thank you for the reply and information. The people who are living with the tenant are not roommates/tenants...I was told that one person's name is on the lease and that no one else is living there. They actually said that an older man was on the lease but I know for a fact that he moved out of state several years ago, and there was a young female with a group of friends in the apt. She moved out and a couple of her friends replaced her...they are not on the lease and we are not allowed to sublet. I just don't understand why management isn't even replying to me. I've tried rallying the other tenants but they're elderly and scared and don't want to 'rock the boat,' as they say. I've kept records of everything but not sure where to take it at this point.
gpmwalker

Postby Emeraldstar » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:35 pm

Hi All
I suggest that you search this site & the web for info on noise. There may be an option to go to court on a nusience complaint. This is a very complicated feat to undertake but possiable. A consult with an atty may help as well since it involves the lack of response by the management. One has to record the noise & document the time/dates.
A pattern has to be established. By pattern I mean nightly for a number of weeks at late hours. Hours are a debateable issue but by midnight and beyond is unreasonable. One should confirm how the disturbances has adversly affected their lives. Medical DX for sleep depravation, stress related issues, medication, etc. Keep detailed records of the costs as well.
I also suggest that you remain focused on the disturbances since knowledge of tenants and their turnover may make you appear as a busybody which LL's use to flip on & make the tenant into a cronic complainer & problematic. You might say there is a significant amount of activity emanating from the apt period.
Good luck this has been covered many times & focus as a strategy on either/or you want the noise to cease or the LL to evict. Eviction is a stretch since that's the LL's call to make.
Emeraldstar

Postby gpmwalker » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:54 pm

Thank you, I really appreciate your taking the time to go into so much detail and I will definitely keep all of these points in mind.
gpmwalker

Postby optimusprime » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:20 pm

it's an option that doesn't produce tons of immediate results but you can call 311. You can also tell the people in your building to do it as well. call every single time they get loud for a month and report it either with your name or anonymously. They don't produce immediate results in terms of sending a cop to the door, but the records start to pile up and then you at least have that for when you take the guys advice above me and try to get them kicked out with a pattern of nuisance. You could also go to your local precinct and ask to speak to someone who deals with the community and ask what options you have with calling the police and the times the tenant has to quiet down.

In addition I have a friend dealing with a crazy guy who blasts a radio non stop 18 hrs a day from his window. The neighborhood has tried to get rid of him for years now. Turns out because he's openly queer and that is part of their complaints (him passed out on the side walk in a thong with make up on or dancing on the street in a bikini with a wig appearing high in front of small children) just about any action they take that involves confrontation can be twisted into a hate crime. Please be careful in how you handle your situation, banging on someones door yelling int he middle of the night could get you in trouble more than their initial party. Not just from them filing a complaint in return, but they could be crazy and violent when they answer the door for all you know.
optimusprime

Postby Emeraldstar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:44 pm

Hi All
Wording :shock: ....... "queer" :roll: Oh for shame optimus :oops: but you do have a point on confrontations & it does happen.
Emeraldstar

Postby ronin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:39 am

I always think that tenants should look at really noisy neighbors as harassment by the LL. I have seen several situations where the LL uses transient students to scare/ push out older tenants knowing that the students will leave in a year or two allowing them to raise the rent.
ronin

Postby Emeraldstar » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:22 pm

Hi All
Oh Ronin you are so on the money :wink: I've seen that as well as so called family members of bld. staff. One is amazed at how large/ much family can suddenly take over empty apts that are above long term tenants of even better, the surrounding apts. When the noise starts suddenly bld staff is seperated from the spouse, not speaking to the cousin, ya da ya da & distance themselves from the problem. That's how the tortured tenant gets the label "cronic complainer" from an LL that cites the "tenants"
I know of a tenant that was sent a letter from their mgmt. saying there was 0 tolerance for discrimination because of a noise complaint mailed to the LL. The LL had fowarded it to the disturber so then the tenant became labled a racist which the LL then fowarded to the complaining tenant. Boy talk about stirring the pot. Most of us can't get a resonse from a LL yet this one was on it, though neglected to mention the family connection to the super untill a lawyer addressed the LL.
Yes I agree, the poster should consider harassment as well.
Emeraldstar

Return to NYC General Discussion