TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Vacating a Sublet 'early'?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Vacating a Sublet 'early'?

Postby rosiered » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:57 pm

Hello all

(Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong discussion section - first time posting).

I am subletting a room from someone and paid first month, last month, and one month's worth of security deposit. We agreed over email that this sublet should last til April (2012) but did not *sign* anything in paper. I said over an e-mail " As I understand it, I am subletting from you, with a verbal agreement of a long-term sublet into April of next year. "

While I obviously hope for the best (in the event that I cannot legally leave before April), I would certainly open to exploring another sublet. Quite simply, my tenant is very picky and anal about things and has not been pleasant to live with (IE, reserving the majority of kitchen space for their stuff, which occupies maybe 25% of each shelf, while insisting that I cram all of my stuff into many fewer shelves, despite me having much more stuff).

This tenant is very stubborn and I have a nagging worry that if I 'ask out' the tenant will be very unreasonable. My hopeful plan of approach is to ask in August that I vacate at the end of October, which is two-plus months notice.

Note that this is a two bedroom apartment - I am subletting one room and the tenant is living in the master bedroom. (The tenant intends to also sublet the living room, which I hear is illegal, but I guess that's a whole different story).

Basically my question is - do I have the right basically 'ask out early' in this situation, if no formal contract has physically been signed?

Sorry if there are details missing - I am sure there is more I can say to clarify, but the library is closing and I am getting kicked out. Help, please!
rosiered

Postby TenantNet » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:22 pm

Is the unit rent stab?

This is a roommate situation, not a sublet.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Emeraldstar » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:16 pm

Hi All
Read the roommate info in the refrence section. It will clarify your position. You should also post as TN said, if the apt. is rent stabilized. Advisement can differ for RS & non RS. There is also numerous posts on roommates that may furthur help.
Emeraldstar

Return to NYC General Discussion