TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Polyurethane/formaldehyde exposure from varnish

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Polyurethane/formaldehyde exposure from varnish

Postby suvakat » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Hi all,

I recently rented an apartment in Brooklyn and they redid the floors a day before I moved in.

I have been sick for three weeks with nausea, dizziness, headache, stinging eyes, and a cough - all of which resolve within 10 minutes of my leaving the apartment.

I've made the property manager aware of the situation but they have not been too helpful. I've had to pay over $300 for fans and air purifiers, not to mention the electricity bill which will likely be in the hundreds this month.

I've been spending almost every night at friends' places as I'm unable to sleep there.

Is there any legal avenue I can take to either break my lease or have them pay for some of my expenses/rent for this month?

I"m not at all familiar with what this would even fall under and I keep hoping the reaction I'm having will go away once the VOCs dissipate fully.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I've searched this site but I've seen very little on reactions to polyurethane and what recourse is available.

I can't keep on living this way - I'm lucky I have places to go to, but I can't do this for months on end...

Thanks for any comments/information,

Suvakat
suvakat

Return to NYC General Discussion