TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord's son bothering me, concern landlord entering apt

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord's son bothering me, concern landlord entering apt

Postby Einsamer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:19 pm

My landlord, who is elderly, had constantly showed up at my apartment without an appointment. I had to tell him several times not to come by without an appointment--the last time I had to get nasty about it.
It has not been a problem, until now. Last week, his son knocked on my door Saturday morning because I had not yet put my rent on the door.
Yesterday, he rang the buzzer. I asked who it was, buzzed him then. He then angrily knocks on my door, telling me he needs to speak to me. Throught the door I asked him about what. He told me about the garbage I took out. I told him that I am not dressed, to make an appointment. Eventually he went away.
As a side note I try to separate recylcable, put the cartons in the carton can, etc. But if I make a mistake, I do not want someone pounding on my door in an an angry and uncivil tone.
What can I do to ensure that neither he nor his agent (this time his irrate son) leave me alone, and do not come by without an appointment, unless it is an emergency? I do not want anyone, especially my landlord or his relative or agent, bothering me ever, especially in the morning.
Also, I have strong suspicion that my apartment is entered when I am gone. I thought about changing the locks, but they could just request a key. Should I change locks and then see if they ask, which would indicate they have tried to enter without my knowledge. Is there an affordable motion activate camera I can buy?
Einsamer

Postby TenantNet » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:33 pm

Is the son the landlord? Tell him to go away and send the real LL. (unless he's employed by the LL).

Remind him that recycling is the law.

You could get a nanny cam. If they enter without notice, call the cops. Yes you can change the key.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Einsamer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:40 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply
They know recycling is the law. Apparently he was angry that I missed something, even though I do try.
Months ago they were angry I did not bind the cardboard boxes. I contacted 311, and although it is required, it is silent as to who is obligated to do so. I do bind it if I have lots of broken down cardboard, but a not a little.
The son is not the LL--his name is not on the lease.
What effect would a written letter to the landlord demanding such unannounced visits have?
Einsamer

Postby TenantNet » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:04 pm

Knocking on your door is not the same thing as a demand for access. There are rules for the latter. I would tell the LL - in writing - that if he wants to contact you, he should call first. Of course and emergency would be different. For any knocking tell him the days and hours that are permissible (and by whom).
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Emeraldstar » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:07 pm

Hi All
As for entering when your not there, you can change the lock, wait & see what happens. If at some point the LL/son knock on the door asking for a key tell them you want the request in writing. If they have been entering my guess is they won't make the request. If they do, you can give a key, install a nanny cam. You'll have three things should you decide to persue it with the police or court. 1. when you moved in. 2. the request. 3. the video. My guess also is that they may not want to renew your lease at which you can confirm retailiation which may buy you some time to search for a new apt.
Emeraldstar

Return to NYC General Discussion