TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

What Do I Do?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

What Do I Do?

Postby 2MuchNoise » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:24 am

I'm living in a 3 family home, located in Bklyn. My Landlord lives upstairs, I'm on the first floor with 3 kids and another tenant is right up under me in the basement, and then there is a Tenant that lives in the back in a one room. My Problem is NOISE, from the tenent who lives directly under me. When me and my children moved into the place, their ages are 16, 13, 9 I didn't want them to make any un necessary noises regarding the tenant below me, out of pure consideration, but she was just really nitpicking with me either bamming on the floor, even when my children were sleep in the back of the house or waking me up at all times of night bamming on the floor to my bedroom, (which is directly over hers). Then she would come upstairs the next day and say that she could hear my television at night and wanted me to turn it down. I told her if she's hearing my tv then she's gonna hear it every night, this is how I go to sleep. One day I was bringing in groceries me and the Driver and she commenced to hitting her ceiling again and bamming on the floor. it was 4 pm in the afternoon, I then went to knock on her door to explain to her to give me a break, I'm bringing in my groceries and I was more than tired of her doing this on a daily basis. She didn't answer her door. So when the landlord came in from work I informed her that I was sick and tired of her bamming on my floor and it was trully stressing me out, seeing that I was not intentionally making noises over her head, The landlord said she would have a talk with her because me and my children deserved to live, ( by this time, I had stop letting my children enter the living room and my front bedroom after 9 pm as to not disturbe her below.) My landlord instructed me to STOP living that way and that she would talk to her as soon as she got upstairs. Well the next day I saw the Tenant, and was trying to tell her exactly what was going on, and she didn't even aknowledge that I was speaking to her, she emptied her trash checked her mail and went back to her apt. I was like Oooook, she's pissed and doesn't want to talk to me. Well after the kids were on summer vacation and the heat started kicking, I changed rooms with my girls, seeing there was a place for me to put my air condition in because of bars on the windows. I couldn't do this in my room that is located directly over hers. And then all Hell Broke loose, from that day, she's constantly played her music at max volume even up until 2 and 3 in the morning. At first I just shook my head cuz I knew it was out of spite, but then it became more than annoying, cuz after 12 there is no noise over her head and all we hear is the thumping of the bass music, This music is on From 9 in the morning til 2 to 3 in the morning, so lately I've started calling 311 and they ( they dispatch the police) come out sometimes they catch it and tell her to turn it down and sometimes by the time they make it here, she's turned it off. Tonight was the last straw, when I found my girls sleeping in their brother room on his bunk beds, due to the noise, my eldest is in summer school and has to be up at 6 in the morning. This time I Dialed 311 and they showed up after 3 when the music had stopped. WHAT DO I DO?... I KNOW I HAVE RIGHTS, I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TYPE. WE'RE NEW TO NYC AND I'VE NEVER EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE. CAN I SUE THE LANDLORD AND THE TENANT? HECK SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TO DO OR GUIDE ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. I'LL FOLLOW UP ON THIS A.S.A.P..
2MuchNoise

Return to NYC General Discussion