TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Utilities shut off during holiday season?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Utilities shut off during holiday season?

Postby citychik » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:28 pm

Hello, someone sent me a link to an article on this site (http://www.tenant.net/Rights/Utility/utilch04.html) which states some "rules" regarding shut-off of utilities. It was written in 1995, and I am wondering if anyone here knows whether this part of it is still applicable/enforceable today in 2011:

"Service cannot be shut off during a two week period around Christmas and New Years Day."

I ask because ConEd just turned off my gas and electric on 12/14, obviously within two weeks of Christmas. I am still without power now since that day. Do I have any recourse or way to get it turned back on based on the above "rule?" I do owe them a sum of money but they were unwilling to give me more time to pay it. It will be easier for me after the holiday to do so, so does anyone know about this one or where/who I can contact to verify if this is still in effect?

Thanks!
citychik

Postby TenantNet » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:44 pm

Since the two week period includes New Years Day, I'd go back 14 days from then, either December 17th or 18th. Don't know if that's the dates Con Ed uses, but either way your shut-off occurred prior to that.

Will Con Ed take a partial payment?

Does this impact your heat and hot water?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby citychik » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:51 pm

Your arithmetic is wonky. Fourteen days from 12/14 would be 12/28. Christmas is 12/25. Hello?

No, heat & hot water is steam provided by landlord. Con Ed would not take the partial payment I offered. they only want a much larger amount than I can afford. I went to the welfare office for a one-shot deal and won't know if I am approved for assistance until after 12/28. Which totally sux.

Would love to hear from someone who has concrete knowledge of this specific rule/law please. I am not looking for guesses. Does anyone know what agency I can contact to find out? Thanks.
citychik

Postby TenantNet » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:03 pm

Hello, yes. Do you want help, or do you want to toss insults?

Your math is backward. The 2-week period is meant as a safety around the holidays. (City Marshalls often do the same thing with evictions, albeit not officially). The two weeks include Christmas and New Year's Day. To do so the period must extend through January 1st or 2nd. The proper way to compute this and include both holidays is to go backward from Jan. 1 (although it could go a few days beyond that as well .... Con Ed would have to give you the actual dates they are using) Even being generous and liberal in the calculations, your shut-off occurred prior to when the two weeks could have started.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion