TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Calling a city inspector.

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Calling a city inspector.

Postby brooklyngal89 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:05 pm

Hey all,
Am I allowed to call a city inspector if my LL doesn't make repairs? My apartment is in desperate need of repairs, and my LL isn't doing anything about them. The radiators in the living room, as well as my bedroom, both broke. There was steam coming out of the living room one, and it cracked the ceiling and wall, and now there's exposed paint from about 25 years ago all over my living room (the building itself is almost 100 years old). My room has a leak in it, and it happens every time the heat is on. We've spoken to the LL dozens of times, sent him a certified letter requesting repairs be done by a certain date. That date has well come and gone. He sent someone once to look at my ceiling. The guy spoke no English, and he had no license, took one look at the ceiling, left, and never came back. Am I allowed to call a city inspector? Does it cost money to do so? Would they have to look at the entire building? I don't think my LL would appreciate that, as I know darn well he currently has someone living illegally in the basement (that's a whole other story right there). :shock: I live with my parents, and I'm saving up to move, but I know that won't happen for the next few years, so I can't even simply move. It's a real life horror story, and I feel like I can't do anything about it. :cry:

Here are some photos of my ceiling. Just for fun.


Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:38 pm

Postby TenantNet » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:09 pm

Are you allowed? Are you serious?

With a mindset like that, people will walk all over you forever.

In other words, please learn how to assert yourself.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
Posts: 9368
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:01 am
Location: New York City

Postby Emeraldstar » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi All
OMG... :shock: Get together with your parents and call 311 now & request an inspection. The 311 operator will connect you to the correct dept. Make sure you write down the complaint # when given to you & be home to allow access when the inspector arrives. Keep all documents, pics, in a folder as well as a copy of the letter sent to the LL for repairs.
As for the rest of the bld. that's between the inspector & the LL. Your apt. is your concern.
Posts: 967
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:01 am

Return to NYC General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests