TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Local Law 84: LL Collecting Apt. Energy Consumption Data?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Local Law 84: LL Collecting Apt. Energy Consumption Data?

Postby Sky » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Tenants in mixed rent regulated/unregulated apt. building have received notice from the LL claiming "Local Law 84 requires all buildings over 50,000 sq/ft to benchmark their energy usage and report this data on an annual basis". LL is requesting tenants provide monthly energy consumption information for the past two years and if they do not have this info, the LL requests that tenants fill out and submit an enclosed 'Letter of Authorization' from ECO Zero LLC, who LL claims has been hired to complete their benchmark survey and will use the authorization to download information from tenants energy providers.

Can anyone comment on this LL request?
Sky

Postby TenantNet » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:19 pm

My initial reaction is Local Law 84 of what year?

And report to whom? Energy providers can provide aggregate info to government anonymously. They probably already do. Whenever we see high electrical usage on hot days, Con Ed tells us how many megawatts are being used, but it does not compromise personal information.

I would be very leery of giving the LL any info, even if it seems innocuous.

What about those tenants who spend time away from home? The LL could claim it's not their primary residence.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Sky » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:35 pm

TenantNet wrote:I would be very leery of giving the LL any info, even if it seems innocuous.

What about those tenants who spend time away from home? The LL could claim it's not their primary residence.

This mirrors my initial reaction: a fishing expedition.
My understanding is that there's no legal requirement for rent regulated tenants to provide such info, or authorization for such info, and I'd consider it unwise for a tenant to volunteer such info.

That being said, I am completely ignorant about this 'Local Law 84' (LL84).

LL claims, 'as part of "Greener, Greater Buildings Plan" NYC passed several pieces of legislation to promote efficient utility usage. One of the new laws NYC Local Law 84 requires building over xx sq./ft to benchmark and report energy usage.' It also states LL84 requires property owners to request energy consumption info from residential tenants.

Is anyone familiar with LL84?
Sky

Postby TenantNet » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:58 pm

Apparently there's something to it. (Thanks Hawco)

See http://www.lexology.com/library/detail. ... a18ab97f5d or Google for "Local Law 84 benchmarking"

While I have yet to read the legislation, I'm not convinced that tenants are required to give LLs permission to delve into such information. While some might see it as innocuous, this forum has many posters whose LLs have tried to evict them using such information.

I see it as a privacy issue. In many cases, however, the meters are in the building's basements so the LL already has access to the information. But why give them more? Remember in many cases these are LLs who deprive you of services, illegally jack up your rent and harass you for that privilege.

This is also a Bloomberg-Quinn program ... another reason to resist!
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion