TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

I have to pay for a new smoke/CO detector?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

I have to pay for a new smoke/CO detector?

Postby jpcrecom » Tue May 29, 2012 12:52 pm

I've been living in the same building for over 2 years. Earlier this week, I got billed $25 for "CO & Smoke Detector".

There was no communication about it - I don't believe there were any notices posted (but it's very possible there were and I missed them) - at least not anything directly to me saying they were going to bill me for a new detector.

I did not request them to replace anything, nor did I break anything. They called up and told me they were going to replace the detector.

I asked downstairs what it was, and they said that "everyone in the building was being billed", so it's not something specific to my apartment. This is a non-rent controlled building that has nearly 500 units.

I saw a law from 2004 saying that they could install one and charge the tenant or replace one that the tenant destroyed, but I can't see how they can just pass on the charge to tenants forever.

I've lived in NYC for 8 years and have never been charged for this before.

Anyone else know of the legality of this?
jpcrecom

Postby TenantNet » Tue May 29, 2012 1:18 pm

The law was amended around 2011 that carbon monoxide detectors be replaced every seven years. If you research CO detectors (try First Alert or Kidde), you'll see they have a life expectancy of around 7 years. Some even have EOL (end of life) chirps.

For details, see here.

Of course if they didn't actually install or replace one, then I would not pay for it. Make sure it complies with UL 2034 of Underwriters Laboratories.

While we believe the cost for these alarms should be included in the rent ... and it's City Council and Christine Quinn who created this pass-along scam, nevertheless everyone should have such an alarm ... and a smoke alarm as well. If the LL doesn't supply one, I'd go out an buy one.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby jpcrecom » Tue May 29, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I accidentally put this in the wrong forum. This isn't rent regulated. My mistake.

They did put a new smoke/CO detector in the apartment, but I'm just baffled that the NYC law states that the tenant is actually supposed to pay for it as opposed to the multi-million dollar management company.

I guess that means I should take it from the ceiling when I leave, since I paid for it. It will be interesting to see if they try to hit my security deposit for removing something they are forcing me to pay for it.
jpcrecom

Return to NYC General Discussion