TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

they babysitting grandkids, extremely disruptive children, c

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

they babysitting grandkids, extremely disruptive children, c

Postby Help3 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:54 am

they babysitting grandkids, extremely disruptive children, can I file a complaint.

I am a tenant who lives in low income Housing. I have a problem with a tenant neighbors of mine who is a grandma and every weekday from 8am-7pm babysitting her grandchildren.
I have reason to believe she babysitting because from Monday through Friday from 8am-7pm three kids are in her house. And when the mother/father come and pick them up, they walk straight to the directly of the housing parking lot. Obviously they are NOT resident in this housing complex.

And our housing complex have two playground and a basketball court. Each of our apartment, we have our own grass area and stairs. Her grandchildren who everyday in the morning refuse to play at their side of their apartments, but going through my side of apartment, my window, my stairs running up and down loudly. Screaming, also playing with rocks and throwing rocks around right outside MY apartment windows.
Please keep in mind, they also have their apartments windows, why not play at their side? Or why not go to a playground to play, but keep going to my area and play.
Not to mention those kids are not always supervise, sometimes grandma are cooking and doing other things and leave them running around.

Everyday I have to deal with crying, screaming, running of grandchildren who are NOT resident at where I live.
I find this to be unfair and I plan to file an offcial complaint on them. But the housing laws say grandparents are allow to have Guest in their house in the daytime. These children are here every weekday as her guest, and being disruptive to other neighbors.

I know landlord don't like complainer, but I have enough of this. I really want to file a complaint. So my question, as a tenant, do I have the rights to complaint against neighbors tenant who are having disruptive guest in her home 5 days a week, every week?
Help3

Postby ronin » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:14 am

Well the problem isn't that your neighbor has grandkids, its that she doesn't encourage them to be calm while indoors (of course, for the very young their calm is not all that calm anyway).

Noise like that overhead is unbearable all day long. Be assured that I understand your situation. You should be thankful that the kids leave every night at 7.

Your options are
1) to try and get the neighbor to be mindful that you are downstairs and to utilize the great outdoor play areas.

2) complain to the landlord. This has the risk of your pissed neighbor encouraging the kids to be louder in retaliation (unless this is a specified senior building).

Calling the police and other official measures probably won't get you much because she is a grandmother with her grandkids.

IMHO

PS I would really like to hear what the other forum members think about this issue.
ronin

Postby Help3 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:36 am

Thank you for your advice, but I disagree, and I will pursue futher actions on this issue. And a complaint will be file on them on Monday, we see how this will go.

Keep in mind that this kids are NOT resident here, they are "Guest", and guest do not have the rights to disturb other tenant.

1) This is about I ask those children to go to "THEIR" apartment to play. There is a choice here, they have their own stair, their own tree, also playgrounds and basketball court to play. SO there is a "CHOICE" elsewhelse all this screaming can be done instead of outside my window.

2) They are not tenant in my unit, they are tenant from a unit across of mine. If they were playing with rocks or making noise in their unit, I have no problem. But they are playing with rock and making noise on my unit.

3) I have reason to believe that throwing big rocks around can cause damage to the housing property, as well as hurting any other children who be walking around in the same area. Including noise and disruptive as well. This is enough for me to file a complaint especially they are NOT resident here and do not live in my unit.

4) People can have others over their house that does means that they can bother others. Also this is not just about noise, this is also a liability issue, if those kids get hurt in the time the grandma did not supervise them, or do any damage to the housing property, then there will be a responsiblity issue here.
Help3

Postby Emeraldstar » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi All
My take is find out what's there that makes one side attractive to the kids vs the other? Seems to me if both sides are the same then management has support to make a request to cooperate though since it's day hours/outside they may not give noise much effort. As for the rocks again that's a management concern.
Emeraldstar

Postby ronin » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:33 am

Let us know if your complaint goes anywhere. And who did you complain to anyway?
ronin

Return to NYC General Discussion