TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Illegal Basement

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Illegal Basement

Postby karime128 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:56 pm

I have been living in a basement of a one family home in westchester NY for 10 years now. i remodeled the whole unit and made it nice (with my own money). I am a month to month tentant. For the full 10 years i have taken care of landscape, garbage, cleaning snow, sending my landlord all her mail to her house. if any thing breaks i will contact contractors to come fix whats broken. I was like the super of the house. The LL moved in two years ago and her husband got jelouse of mine for cleaning the yard and doing a man's work so we stopped doing it. She called me a few days ago talking about she was going to call the cops on me because i poisoned a cat and left it dead in the yard for her to smell it and get sick. I would never hurt an animal i dont understand why she would think that way. We had no idea of this cat being dead and when my husband and i told her that she said that we were a liar and that she will slap my husband. All my husband said was your not my mother to try to slap me. Well today after we left to work she gave my in home babysitter a letter directed to me which said i have till August 1st to move because a family member needs the dwelling. No phone call or anything just a typed letter. I have two childred and live paycheck by paycheck. Now i really dont know what to do.

My friend lives in the attic for 7-8 years as well and remodleded as well but he has been a pain to her. He hasnt paid rent for 5 months and she doesnt throw him out because she is scared of him because he has and anger management problem.

i dont understand why me and not him. im stuck and i dont want to be in the streets with my two kids. Everyone is telling me that since its an illegal apartment that she has to pay me all the rent i have paid and i can stay there till i get a court order. Oh my what am i going to do???? Please any advice
karime128

Return to NYC General Discussion