TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Gatting $ for a paint job.

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Gatting $ for a paint job.

Postby lawful tenant » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:50 pm

Is there any way to get $ for a paint job from the Landlord and do it yourself?

It used to be No Problem in years past - yet the new management is not warm to this idea...

Also, what is the normal amount to get for a 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom?
lawful tenant

Postby TenantNet » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:19 pm

I've seen landlords do this. Usually they would reimburse for the cost of paint, or a fixed dollar number per room.

That was one way for tenants to get good quality if they did the work themselves. It also saved tenants from sloppy painters. With LL's paying bottom dollar many painters would do horrible jobs. Once I saw them do a complete room in about 15 minutes. Of course the windows and light switches were painted shut. Some painters also had sticky fingers, and with many tenants, you can't move all the furniture all at once.

It really depends on the landlord agreeing to do this. They are required to paint every three years (or sooner if it needs it).

I would get some quotes from painting companies to get an idea how much the LL would spend. If it's a large landlord, they might have their own people on staff, so their costs would be reduced.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

No matter what the Landlord pays less.

Postby lawful tenant » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:50 pm

The problem is that LL uses the CHEAPEST POSSIBLE people to do the job as you eluded to.

Now these people are not LICENSED and INSURED.

To get a licensed and insured person to paint the entire apartment with a coat of primer and two coats of paint it would cost at least $250 per room, so for a two bedroom apartment it would cost $1250 (2 bedrooms, living room, foyer, kitchen, and I am not counting the closets)
to do it properly.

My landlord has two guys do the job in two days I am not sure how much he pays them. But they ARE NOT LICENSED AND INSURED.

They take a two hour break after the first coat and start applying the second coat, when it DID NOT EVEN COMPLETELY DRY....

Also I have heard that they sometime mix the paint with water.

So to say that the job they do is of POOR QUALITY is a HUGE UNDERSTATEMENT.

Being so, is there a way to force them to use contractors that ARE LICENSED and INSURED?

Thanks
lawful tenant

Postby TenantNet » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:08 pm

As far as I know, painters are not required to be licensed or insured. Any person can do it. Don't confuse that with a Home Contractor which is required to be licensed.

Even if there was a licensing requirement, that does not insure good quality.

You're talking about a high-class professional job you might see on the Upper East Side. $1250 doesn't sound so high.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion