TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Melted microwave

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Melted microwave

Postby toomuchexposition » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:29 am

Hi there! I tried searching for information about this, but I can't find anything that specifically applies. A few weeks ago, I was cooking on a very hot day. Between the heat in the air and the heat on the range, the bottom of the plastic frame the microwave door melted/deformed, but I didn't notice until the next day, so I couldn't try to push it back. Now the inner glass/metal door is fine, but it doesn't close perfectly, so the microwave thinks it's still open and will not operate.

I showed it to our super-type-guy, who reported it to the management company. The management company rep, without seeing it, said "That's impossible" and implied that it must be my fault and that she would have to send the manager over to look--though how I could cause such a thing deliberately or negligently, I have no idea. She also mentioned something about charging us when the unit was inspected (which would leave us without a microwave until we move out, which we have no plans to do currently). Can they really charge us for a microwave that melted due to environmental factors? It seems to me that, if anything, this would be more like the rules for an air conditioner, where they have to replace it but can increase our rent by 1/40th of the cost of the replacement. Or should I try to buy a replacement door part (~$200) to avoid getting charged for the full cost of the microwave?

Additional background, if it matters: the apartment is rent-stabilized. We have been here six years and have always paid rent on time. There have only been minimal maintenance issues in the past, which were clearly not our fault and were repaired without complaint.

Thanks!
toomuchexposition

Postby TenantNet » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:03 pm

Summer hot air won't melt anything.

You don't say if this microwave belongs to you, or if it was supplied by the landlord.

If it's yours, then time to get renters insurance.

If it's the landlords, then the LL is responsible for all maintenance or repairs, and LL's do have the right to inspect the damage. Take many photos of the stove. MW and how close they are.

The question always comes up if either party was negligent. Were you doing something on the range that is not the intended purpose of the device.

Or did the LL install the MW (here I'm assuming the range and MW are part of one unit) too close to the range? If that's the case, then the LL was negligent. You can likely find information on the unit on the web, and it will likely have information on how close the MW can be to the range.

You're misreading the so-called rules for A/C. The 1/40th only comes into play when you demand a new unit when a used one is available. The LL is required to provide a "working" device. If a used one is not available, then they have to replace the defective unit with a new unit at no charge to the tenant.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby toomuchexposition » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:30 pm

The microwave was installed by and belongs to the landlord. I have no problems letting them in to inspect, just don't like the threat of charging full replacement value for a 6-year-old microwave.

I agree that this seems unlikely to happen in summer air alone, but a hot apartment plus cooking on 3 burners for an hour is apparently enough--and I don't think that cooking for an hour is out of line with the "intended purpose." The stove and microwave are separate units. I did check the manual, and it looks like the microwave is the bare minimum that it should be from the range.

In any event, thank you for replying--I appreciate your insight. I will try to encourage them to come by and inspect ASAP, and let them know I'm fine with a used unit if necessary.
toomuchexposition

Postby ronin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:26 am

Sound like an improper, unlicensed installation... or a non-rangetop unit.... or a defective rangetop unit.
ronin

Return to NYC General Discussion