TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Late fee illegal even if original lease contains it?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Late fee illegal even if original lease contains it?

Postby Someone » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:24 pm

I won a rent overcharge case against my landlord a few years ago. DHCR issued the order directing the landlord to issue me a new Lease with a lowered rent.

The owner did not immediately comply as they started fighting it in Court, After losing 2 appeals they issued me a Renewal Lease with the correct amount as originally directed by DHCR.

Being however they did not issue me a NEW LEASE does the original lease still hold power as it relates to the Late Rent Clause or not?

Is there any case law on this?

Thank you
Someone

Postby TenantNet » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:28 pm

A finding of overcharge does not entitle a tenant to a new RS lease. You really don't want a "new" lease as that would include a vacancy increase. Even if the DHCR order used the word "new," I don't think that means a "new" lease. In other words, the provisions of the existing lease - to the extent they are lawful - would hold.

I would make sure that the registrations with DHCR reflect the legal rent.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

No it would not

Postby Someone » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:37 pm

NO IT WOULD NOT.

The order specifically directed the landlord to issue a New Lease with a specified Rent. That was the whole point of getting the order in the first place. Since however more than 2 years have passed since the original overcharged lease was issued, they just decided to offer me a renewal with the amount specified on the rent order.

I would like to know the source of your information.

What you are saying though is even though DHCR found an overcharge and directed them to issue me a new lease, the provisions of the lease which were not in "overcharge/fraud/error" remain in full force and effect?

I thought there was case law to the contrary.

Would appreciate if others can weigh in on this.
Someone

Postby TenantNet » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:05 pm

You seem to already know the answer, so there's not much more we can say.

Without having seen the actual DHCR order and subsequent court decisions, we can't opine further.

TenantNet

Postby ctny » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:01 pm

I was initially attracted to this thread wanting to know if late rent charge is legal, but this thread actually has nothing to do with that topic...

Let me see if I got this right, the original poster got a court order to reduce the rent, so the question is if a clause unrelated to rent cost on the original contract is still valid.

I am not a lawyer, but logic seems to indicate there are many clauses on a contract, late charges, rent due date, notice before landlord can enter apartment, etc. Since none of these are related to rent cost, why would one be invalid vs the others?
ctny

Postby TenantNet » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:17 am

The OP was using the term "new lease" in the context that it was like a new car. It wasn't. The term can also mean to renew the existing lease, where all previous terms and conditions hold. Remember, this is a RS unit (and posted in the wrong forum).

As I said to the OP, without seeing the court order, it's hard to determine the context of the word "new," but I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion