TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Poisonous Water?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Poisonous Water?

Postby hirschma » Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:40 pm

Since I found that the water in my apartment tasted very bad, I installed a faucet-mount filter.

After two weeks, the filter was completely clogged. It was supposed to last 3 months. A call to the manufacturer revealed that my water likely has an uncommon amount of particulates in it.

I decided to switch brands to the best-regarded faucet filter. It clogged in a few days.

Now, I'm worried about the water in general. How do I find out if the water is toxic? And what can I make the landlord do about it?

I love my apartment, but I don't think that bottled water is the answer for all water needs($$$).

Thanks.

jonathan
hirschma

Re: Poisonous Water?

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:56 pm

I also bought a faucet water filter a couple of years ago. It worked for a day or so in my third floor apartment but then slowed down to a trickle.

I brought it back to the store and they said there wasn't enough water pressure in most Manhattan apartments for this kind of filter. I exchanged it for a counter top model which works.

You might want to have your water tested but, unless you're on the ground floor with plenty of water pressure, I wouldn't use the filter as any kind of standard for purity.

<small>[ June 23, 2002, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Cranky Tenant ]</small>
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby hirschma » Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:17 pm

Sounds like good advice... will give a counter top unit a try. Thanks.

jonathan
hirschma

Postby MikeW » Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:00 pm

If this is NYC, call the DEP. They should come and test the water.
MikeW

Return to NYC General Discussion