TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Next Door Neighbors: Opera Singers/Tutors

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Next Door Neighbors: Opera Singers/Tutors

Postby AnnaNYC » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi,

I live in a building with some rent controlled apartments. I presume my next door neighbor lives in one of these, as he has been there over 15 years. I've been here about 2 years. My apartment is also rent-controlled.(Not sure if this changes anything).

My neighbor was living abroad until a year ago. When he came back, I discovered that he is a professional opera singer, plays the piano and tutors a number of students for his career. His schedule is not consistent, but it can be incredibly unreasonable. For example, for the last two weeks, he has begun taking lessons at about 10am and stopped at about 10pm. This has occurred every day but one Sunday. There are sometimes breaks for a few hours, but then it starts right back up.

I can't hear them too much from my bedroom. But from my living room, I can hear even normal conversations. The singing and piano playing- I might as well have a front row seat.

I don't want to make this man's career impossible. I've knocked on his door a few times when the singing has gone on past midnight. And he told me in the halls that he would not take lessons after 4pm. But it really is becoming absurd. I can't concentrate and I'm not sure what to do. I feel like he is being very inconsiderate, but I don't relish the idea of a confrontation, especially if there's nothing I can do.

Who would I speak about this with? I'd just like some guaranteed noise-free hours of the day.
AnnaNYC

Postby Emeraldstar » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi All
Since you have spoken to him are you finding that he is keeping to his word about 4pm lessons?
I don't see that unreasonable in the daytime hours. Nice of him to come up with it. Midnight is unreasonable & has he ceased? If so that's good.
You mentioned stops at 10pm. My bld supposedly has a 10pm policy. If yours is the same, again I don't see him going beyond reasonable.
I agree 6-7 days can be daunting but if he's agreeable perhaps you can speak to him again & see if weekends can be left aria free?
Emeraldstar

Postby TenantNet » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:26 am

A person singing himself is one thing. Giving lessons is something else. I would continue to negotiate, but ultimately, it's the landlord's responsibility to keep things reasonable, say, during business hours only.

BTW, you are not rent controlled if you've been there only 2 years. Neither is the singer if he's been there only 15 years. You've been on the forum for a while, you should probably know that.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion