TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Sandy and displacement question

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Sandy and displacement question

Postby BigAppleCoder » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:30 am

I live in a rent-stabilized building that has had extensive mechanical equipment damage requiring a few months to repair. The leasing agent/owner has stated that they will try to put the building occupants into other buildings under special terms until our building is repaired and then restore us to our unit. However, since the market rates are above my current rate they are asking me to pay a higher rate under a new lease.

I'm not happy about paying higher rent, but I need a place ASAP. What does the law say about such a situation?
BigAppleCoder

Postby TenantNet » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:54 am

First, you live in a RS apartment, not a RS building.

The damages from the hurricane are an "Act of God" which should be covered in your lease (presuming it's not an illegal term). If the LL commences a timely and orderly repair, then he's doing what he ought to. OTOH, if he sits and does nothing, or does work without a proper DOB permit (which many do), then you might have claims.

As for displacement, the best analogy I can think of is when a fire occurs, and you don't want to give up your RS rights. Take a look at this thread: http://tenant.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5973

It might be helpful to consult with a tenant attorney. In my view, the LL should charge you the same rent as the legal rent for your apartment.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Emeraldstar » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:22 pm

Hi All
Also contact Con Ed..get advisement how to shut electric during reloc.
Emeraldstar

Return to NYC General Discussion