TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Loitering inside the building

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Loitering inside the building

Postby redhaus » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:28 pm

I was wondering if loitering inside an apartment building is illegal? If so, how can I stop it without causing a rift with my neighbors?

My situation is this: I moved into a ground floor apartment a few months ago. Since my apartment faces the lobby of the building I expected some level of noise and I've been pretty patient about it. However, over the past few weeks a group of young guys, maybe 16 to 18 years old, have been hanging out directly in from of my apartment door 3 or 4 nights a week. They spend literally 4 to 5 hours every night just hanging out there talking loudly, playing music, and even playing soccer in the lobby and using my door as the goal. I've asked them to keep it down, especially on weeknights, and they've been polite enough about it, but the problem has been continuing.

I don't want to call the police; I'm worried the NYPD will just make the situation worse. Should I contact my landlord and ask him to post a sign to stop loitering in the building? Or am I being unreasonable? Is there anything else I could do?
redhaus

Postby TenantNet » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:36 pm

The first thing is talk to the people hanging out there. Have you checked to see if they actually live in the building? Are they under-age with parents in the building?

Document the problem by keeping a dairy of when they are there. Are they loud enough to record? Take photos?

Does the building have security or a doorman?

Then the next step would be to talk to the super or landlord and explain the problem. You could always post a sign on your door asking people to keep it quiet. Do you have a tenant group in the building? Peer pressure is the first step.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby redhaus » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:06 pm

Thanks for the advice. I've actually been doing a lot of what you suggested: making note of when they're there, etc. I know two of them live in the building, but the other three are usually let into the building by their friends. The lobby has a security camera, but no doorman.

I've also spoken with the super, but his attitude was, "You're a new tenant and these kids have lived here longer than you so they have the right to do what they want." The other neighbors on my floor don't seem to be complaining, so I feel sort alone in this. Like I said, I'm a pretty patient person, but the situation is getting out of hand.
redhaus

Postby Emeraldstar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi All
The next step might be to talk to the parents of the kids who reside in the bld. Let them know the kids & their guests have been polite & explain what they are doing at your door. Wait a while & if it does not change write a letter to the LL RRR requesting they speak to the parents.
Emeraldstar

Postby Landlord's Boy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:14 am

redhaus wrote:I've also spoken with the super, but his attitude was, "You're a new tenant and these kids have lived here longer than you so they have the right to do what they want." The other neighbors on my floor don't seem to be complaining, so I feel sort alone in this. Like I said, I'm a pretty patient person, but the situation is getting out of hand.

The super's attitude sounds pretty strange to me. Check the fine print of your lease - chances are the other tenants have pretty much the same document. There will be a few clauses in there about proper use of building areas and responsibility of tenants for minors and guests - you can mention that to your neighbors. To your landlord you can mention the specific clause about "quiet enjoyment" of the premises.
Always Report Leaks Immediately!
Landlord's Boy

Postby ronin » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:21 am

With a name like Landlord's Boy, I wouldn't expect such helpful on-point advice.

Are you feeling ok there?

:D

Ok, here's my take to mix in with LLBoy's... Discuss landlord liability for minors who hurt themselves in common areas of the building. Slip and fall squared.
ronin

Return to NYC General Discussion