TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Storage Space Requirement.

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Storage Space Requirement.

Postby lawful tenant » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:30 pm

We used to have storage space in our building 15 years ago. Only a few people (about 20) out of 100 used it, so the super took it away and started using it for his tools.

In recent years some tenants have asked new management for the storage space yet they refused.

At least 7 tenants can testify to the fact that we used to have storage.

Can we get a rent reduction for this? I know there are quite a few cases that were able to do this. Are there any where so much time has elapsed and people were still able to be successful in getting storage back?

Main purpose is to get the storage back.

Thanks
lawful tenant

Postby TenantNet » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Only if you are rent stabilized (which apparently you are not since you posted in the non-RS section) or if your current lease provides for it.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

I am rent stabilized.

Postby lawful tenant » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:36 pm

TenantNet wrote:Only if you are rent stabilized (which apparently you are not since you posted in the non-RS section) or if your current lease provides for it.

Sorry for posting in the wrong section. I am indeed rent stabilized. So you are saying that it doesn't matter that 15 years has gone by since the storage was taken away and that the management has changed 2 times since then?

How do I proceed?

Thanks
lawful tenant

Postby TenantNet » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:59 pm

I don't think the legal definition of a required service has changed ... services that were provided on the base date or thereafter (the base date being in 1974).

But DHCR has made it worse for tenants. Several years back they made certain services such as basement storage space "de minimus" meaning it is considered to be minor and not worthy of the legal requirements. However, there are cases where they have ruled for required storage space notwithstanding the so-called de minimus get-out-of-jail-card they give to the landlord.

The first thing to do is document the prior usage of the space as storage for tenants.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion