TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord lost our keys

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord lost our keys

Postby Mozam » Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:41 pm

My landlord said she can't find her copy of my apartment keys and asked if I would make her a new copy so she could do some repairs inside. Should she be obligated to change our locks??
Mozam
Mozam

Re: Landlord lost our keys

Postby Cranky Tenant » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:53 am

The LL is entitled to a key to your apartment though she's not tentitled to enter and make repairs whenever she pleases. Making a copy of the existing key is certainly a lot cheaper than replacing the lock and, if you insist that she spend more than is necessary, she's going to resent it.

If you're concerned about security, you can ask her to replace the tumbler, or you can usually install your own lock above the one provided by the LL.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby Zamindar » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:20 am

The Landlord does not have a right to a key to your apartment unless they specifically reserved that right in a lease. If you do not have this sort of clause I would replace the locks right away for your own security, and then decide if you wish your landlord to have a key, but I would advise against it since they have already lost one key, they could easily lose another. And when did they lose this first key? Is the only reason that they asked for a new one was because of impending work, and not because they discovered the key missing, your security may have been compromised for quite some time. If you do have a clause in your lease that allows the landlord to have a key, then you should insist that the landlord replace the locks, they are required to provide you with reasonable security, and their loosing the key certainly does not enhance your security. I think that Cranky Tenant reading more into the question than what is there, though it is quite true that the landlord may not enter at their whim to do repairs, Mozam did not state this as being a problem. As long as Mozam and the landlord agree on when the repairs will be conducted then every thing is copasetic.
Zamindar

Postby Chimera » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:15 pm

Zamindar is largely incorrect. If you live in a building with three or more units, the landlord is entitled to a key, by law.
Chimera

Return to NYC General Discussion