TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Shared gas and electric meters

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Shared gas and electric meters

Postby vinjoeana » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:45 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but I have been renting a one family house for the past 2 years. There is someone living in the basement. My gas and electric bills are extremely high. I compared the usage (not the amounts since rates change) to what I have used in places I lived before that were larger than this one and at that time there were more people living with me. The usage in this house is a lot higher so I believe I am paying from a shared meter. I mentioned it to the landlord about the bill and she had gotten very defensive and said that the apt. downstairs is legal. She is now looking to raise my rent a lot so I checked the DOB website to see if the apt. downstairs is legal and it turns out it's not. I really can't afford the increase since my gas and electric bills are so high so I was going to call Con Ed to check on the meter. If it is determined that I have been paying a shared meter, would the landlord be responsible to reimburse me for all of the money I have paid? I believe she would either have to install meters for that apt or put the bill in her name but I was wondering about all of the bills that I have paid the last 2 years.

Thanks
vinjoeana

Postby TenantNet » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:09 pm

I would start by going to http://www.tenant.net/Rights/Utility/util-toc.html

Many LLs - especially in Queens - have illegal basement units. It is common.

Where on the DOB website does it say that a particular unit is illegal? Last I checked, they don't flag illegal units, but would issue a violation.

Do you have a meter in your apartment?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby vinjoeana » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:15 pm

It doesn't specifically say it's illegal but I checked the C of O and it's only a 1 family house. There were never any permits obtained so they haven't done any legal work. We have also spoken with a neighbor who said that it's not legal. We don't have a meter in our apartment - it's in the guy's apartment downstairs. My husband went down there to read the meter so we can record it since Con Ed has difficulty getting in and he only saw 1 gas and 1 electric.
vinjoeana

Postby Emeraldstar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi All
I have a friend who rented in a private house & yes the basement apt. was on their bill/elect. Con Ed did some kind of testing without going into the basement.
Your best bet is to speak with someone at Con Ed. Aside from the testing there is some kind of formula they use to determine who used what. I would think there may be some kind of credit applied to future bills if determined downstairs is on the elect. My guess is how could bsmt. apt. not be on yours if there is only one meter? Be aware my friend ended up moving since they opened the can of worms, but they did live out their security the last month.
Emeraldstar

Return to NYC General Discussion