TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Lease is almost up & landlord is selling building in NJ

Moderator: TenantNet

Lease is almost up & landlord is selling building in NJ

Postby Haverchuck » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:37 pm

I've been living at my current apartment in Jersey City, NJ for 2 years. My lease is up next month & I've made my intentions to renew clear to my landlord – both in-person & in writing - yet I still haven’t received a renewal lease from him. He had previously told me he lets all of his tenants continue renting at the same monthly rate with no new signed leases after their initial rental period is up (which would technically be month-to-month at that point, correct?), which seems odd, especially since it states in my lease with him that he is obligated to present me with a renewal no less than 30 days before my current lease is up.
Here’s where my main concern lies: My landlord is currently in the process of trying to sell the building I live in. The building is rent-controlled, which (in Jersey City) means the rent can only be raised a maximum of 4% per year. If I don’t receive a lease renewal from him & continue renting at the same rate without a current lease like his other tenants, does that leave me open to a severe rent hike or 30-day notice to move out once the building is sold to new owners? I just want to make sure I’m covered when the place eventually sells so I won’t have any possible unpleasant surprises. I like my apartment & want to stay in it, but my landlord has become surprisingly uncommunicative since he made his plans to sell the building known to his tenants. Thoughts?
Haverchuck

Postby TenantNet » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:39 pm

Please post this in the "General Discussion - Beyond NYC" section of the forum.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York