TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Problem with landlord and privacy

Moderator: TenantNet

Problem with landlord and privacy

Postby Wallace-332 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:59 am

I need some advice. I rent a place close
To my office and stay somewhere else most weekends. My landlord is a very nice person but lately I feel smothered and I'm not sure how to handle the situation without causing issues. Landlord lives on the premises. Almost daily, when I come home
From work, landlord stops me to chit chat about nonsense. Rarely is it anything related to tenancy or the rental property. I don't mind chatting once in awhile but it is beyond the norm. Landlord will also knock on my door at least once a week to ask me something he already informed me about. My landlord is kind and generous, overly generous with gifts. I know this is not typical. I have tried to politely request it to stop as it
Makes me feel awkward, but requests are ignored.
There is more, I have had conversations in my rental at reasonable tone and almost at a whisper where landlord has brought up something I had said in a conversation within days. At first I thought it was a coincidence but
It has happened a lot, over 15 times in the past 6 weeks at least. I have also had telephone conversations where I have witnessed landlord trying to ease drop, then bringing up a snide remark days later about something said in the conversation. I have tried to speak lower, I am at a whisper now whenever I am home. If I do not spend a few days at home, I am asked if there is a problem with the rental since I have not been around. I have always paid the rent on time, I do not have visitors or parties. I keep to myself and value my privacy. If I sit outside, within minutes the landlord is walking over to chat and the conversations are repeats about past conversations. I can not get away for at least an hour. I have a hobby and have been told I shouldn't partake in it in the rental in not exactly those words but it has been insinuated. I feel I pay my rent and do not cause problems and I am entitled to quiet enjoyment and as long as I am not disturbing others or destroying the rental, what I do in it is
My own business if I am not breaking the law. There have been other incidents as well but i do not want to go too in detail and bore you. This isn't the type of person you can respectfully ask for privacy without retaliation or difficult issues in the future. Besides moving out, how would you handle this situation?
Wallace-332

Re: Problem with landlord and privacy

Postby TenantNet » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:05 am

It's not really a landlord-tenant issue. It's more of human problem. I would just tell the LL that you had a long trying day at the office and just want to be left alone. You don't say where you are located, but in some areas of the country, what you describe can be seen as just being neighborly. Perhaps it's a clash of cultures.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: Problem with landlord and privacy

Postby Wallace-332 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:06 am

Thanks for your advice, I understand it's not a landlord-tenant issue perhaps, but I have searched everywhere online for somewhere to post this and this is the only site I was able to find. I have no issue with being neighborly or friendly to an extent, but on an every day basis, multiple times a day, it becomes draining. To me, neighborly is one thing, but my landlord knows everything about every neighbor and wants to sit and talk about all of them. I do not enjoy drama like this. I have tried changing the subject, walking away, saying I am late (even when I am) and I have even burned dinner trying not to be rude.

I have tried to say "I had a long day at the office" already and in response I am asked what happened and why just to start a conversation. I have already been late to work being stopped in the morning as well and when I stated that I was running late, I was answered with a rude "Oh I am sorry I made you late" and then LL continues to talk about something else.

Maybe it is me.
Wallace-332

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York