TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Paid Application Fee, Can I get refund if I changed my mind?

Moderator: TenantNet

Paid Application Fee, Can I get refund if I changed my mind?

Postby frankyJrents » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:02 pm

I'm a resident of Texas and I considered moving into an apartment in Fort Worth, but I found a better deal/place after paying the application fee at the first place although I have not completed my application. I asked the complex if I could get a refund if I change my mind and they said no, but I was wondering if there was any legal information out there to where I could get my money back. I am also planning to go to my bank and trying to cancel the money order since the apt complex told me I was not signing a contract so I don't think I'm legally obligated to pay.

Can anyone help?
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:54 pm

Re: Paid Application Fee, Can I get refund if I changed my m

Postby TenantNet » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:53 pm

I would get to the bank ASAP. See if you can do anything online.

But look at whatever agreement you signed with the company (landlord or broker?) Was it for processing the application or a deposit on the unit? Did you sign any agreement or lease that obligated you to rent the unit for a specified term?

If none of that works, look at your local city and state law. But don't be surprised if Texas has nothing that protects tenants.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
Posts: 9765
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:01 am
Location: New York City

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests