TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

broken ice maker costing me $250 in killowats

Moderator: TenantNet

broken ice maker costing me $250 in killowats

Postby spike1 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:21 pm

Thanks in advance for any help...

A water main burst a while back which cut the water flow to my refrigerators ice maker.
The repairman the landlord sent to fix the burst water main informed me that I could no longer make ice and there was no concern.
I assumed that he reported this info to the landlord but I also text-ed and left a voice mail with the landlord to be responsible.
I did not ask to have the ice maker fixed as I knew it would mean them having to spend a lot of money replacing the burst pipe just for the ice maker.
I did email them months later to ask if they if they could patch the gaping holes in the drywall the repairman had made and again indicated that i could not make ice but it was not a big deal.
I have discovered after carefully monitoring my Pepco meter and keeping my electric heat off that my kilowatt usage has quadrupled and the Pepco rep indicated that the refrigerator probably has been working in overdrive to try and make ice.
The Pepco rep informed me that compared to the same period over the last 2 years my readings should be around 50 kilowatts/month - this last month alone was over 300 - which translates to a $250 spike.(electric). With the heat off, in the past 2 weeks the meter ran over 200 kilowatts!! That is 4 times my monthly average.

1. Lets assume that the ice maker issue is indeed the cause - -where do I stand here as far as my and the landlords responsibilities and any possible relief from the additional $250 ? By not asking to have the ice maker repaired negate any claim ?

The lease does indicate that Landlord is responsible for refrigerator repairs.

Thank you!
spike1

Re: broken ice maker costing me $250 in killowats

Postby TenantNet » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:57 pm

This is beyond NY, so we can answer only in generalities. Not being rent regulated, you will have not right to services along the same lines as rent stab units in NYC.

However, you should look at the fine print of your lease. Your lease likely provides that the LL must maintain the services you both agreed to when you took occupancy, and that includes a working refrigerator, including ice maker, and walls without gaping holes.

Make sure you document everything. Test the power usage by turning everything in the apartment off, except for the refrigerator and seeing what happens. Or you can use a power meter like Kill-A-Watt (google that) to document the power usage.

BTW, you need to refer to Killowatts (KW) with a time period, i.e., KW per hour.

I would write the LL a letter asking for repair of the walls and ice maker. Beyond that, well that depends on your local laws and what you are prepared to do.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby spike1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:33 pm

Thanks,

The lease does indicate LL responsible for upkeep of the appliance, but, I think because I did not ask for the ice maker to be fixed - even though the LL was aware it was broken (in writing) that I will have to pay the enormous bill and learn a lesson.

I started monitoring power use w/ breakers off and so far nothing - but I dont know if another unit has to be using say the washer/dryer for it to show activity on the meter.

When i turned all the breakers off I discovered that I am powering one of the buildings hall lights. Not sure if thats enough for the electric company to due an investigation.

I will look into the "Kill a watt" device.

Thanks !!
spike1

Postby TenantNet » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:40 pm

Tracking your power usage only works of the meter is for your apartment and no other units or areas of the building.

Just because you didn't ask for the repair before does not mean the LL isn't responsible.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York