TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Stand-alone pull up bar in back patio.

Moderator: TenantNet

Stand-alone pull up bar in back patio.

Postby SF4311 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:30 pm

I have a 1bd apt in SF and want to install a pull-up bar in a shared back patio that is currently not used (ie: is completely empty). I can't find anything in the lease that says it shouldn't be allowed. I ran it by my landlord via email out of courtesy who says I'm not allowed to install it anywhere on the property (including my own one-bedroom apt.) because its a liability issue and she says it will be cluttered and opens her up to other "strange" requests. A few things:
1. Its not at all cluttered. The space is empty, has a fence and the other two rental units have said they have no problem with it being there. It would take about about 10% of the area of the back patio and not obstruct access to anything or damage anything.
2. I thought the point of rental insurance was to cover any liability issues and shouldn't impact her property insurance. We were required to get rental insurance for this property. She's concerned we will sue her if someone is hurt on the pull up bar (which is ridiculous).

The landlord is very controlling and can get away with it in the San Francisco housing market because there is such little supply. She comes to our place a couple times a week. I'm in the process of contacting a legal agency and searching the Internet to get my ducks in a row before I respond to her. Does anyone have any thoughts about this situation or faced something similar?

Thank you!
SF4311

Re: Stand-alone pull up bar in back patio.

Postby TenantNet » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:15 pm

How about a URL showing us what type of pull-up bar you're talking about?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby SF4311 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:38 pm

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Barbell-Power-Rack-Exercise-Stand/dp/B00HYQP72O

I'm only using it for its pull up capabilities, not as a weight rack as pictured. Here's a few brief bullets:

Assembled specs (D x W x H) 46-Inch x50-Inch x85-Inch
Steel construction comprised of 12 and 14 steel gauge thickness
The structure uprights are double gusseted to reinforce stability and durability
3 step powder coat finish for exceptional durability
Bands, bar and plates are not included
SF4311

Postby TenantNet » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:27 pm

OK, this is a stand-alone device, not attached to any part of the apartment like an air conditioner or dishwasher. You can move this from room-to-room, dismantle it and reassemble it, correct?

So what's the fuss? We don't know SF or CA tenant law, but I would think in any state there's nothing objectionable about it. You just had lesson 1 in dealing with landlords ... don't ask and don't tell (with apologies to LGBT readers).

As for ANY use of the back patio, it depends on if this is part of the apartment you rented. You say it's a shared patio, so that could be a problem. The LL would be within its rights to not allow a swing set for kids (for example). You have to see what's in the details of the lease for use of shared areas. But in areas under your exclusive control - your bedroom or living room - in our opinion the LL cannot prevent you from using such a device. Other devices such as air conditioners or dishwashers might be seen as permanent installations or using too much power, and the LL might/probably has the right to restrict such items. But not a pull-up bar.

As for entry into your apartment, why do you let her do that? I wouldn't unless there's a need for maintenance or an emergency. And even then, I'd have them amke an appointment.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York