TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

$75 Fee For The First Key to Access One's Own Apartment?

Moderator: TenantNet

$75 Fee For The First Key to Access One's Own Apartment?

Postby Rangle_Newfangle » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:15 pm

My wife and I chose to move into a new apartment on a 12 month lease. Service work abroad kept me from moving in last winter when my wife had. So I’ve applied and been accepted as an occupant this week. The management insists I pay a non-refundable $75 for a keyfob to be able to enter the building we live in (separate from the key I have to enter my apartment). My girlfriend didn’t have to pay such a fee to have an access fob to our building. I have a hunch had I applied when my wife did months ago, management wouldn't have thought to assess such an additional fee.

Is this kind of policy legally dubious to charge folks a non-refundable fee like that for a second fob to enter their building??? I don’t mind paying a fee. I’m just annoyed it’s non-refundable.
Rangle_Newfangle

Re: $75 Fee For The First Key to Access One's Own Apartment?

Postby TenantNet » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:44 pm

It makes no sense that you had to apply and be accepted as an occupant. When you rented the unit and signed the lease, even if only in your wife's name, you are entitled to live there as a spouse. Also, is this some special type of apartment or just a regular private rental complex or building?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York