TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Moving in before state inspection

Moderator: TenantNet

Moving in before state inspection

Postby flyingostrich » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:54 pm

I am preparing to move in to a newly remodeled apartment. I paid a deposit back in June. The unit was supposed to be ready July 1, and the builder (who also owns the property) has repeatedly extended the deadline for various reasons.

I am running out of alternative housing options and recently stopped by the property and can see that it is done being remodeled. The landlord gave me access to a temporary master key so I could get in and out to store my belongings there. Now he is telling me that I can sign a lease, but that the state inspectors still need to come and approve the property.

I get the sense that he doesn't mind if I stay there, but he can't give me an "all clear" without the state paperwork completed.

My question is: can he get in trouble if the state inspectors discover that I'm already residing in the unit? Like, if they see that I have my bed set up or that there are disches in the cupboards—is that against the law, or is the inspection just a formality for liability and insurance etc.?
flyingostrich

Re: Moving in before state inspection

Postby TenantNet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:24 pm

We've never heard of apartments being inspected by the state ... any state. While this could be the case in your location or the type of apartment it is, but I would laugh myself silly if my LL said something like that in NYC.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby flyingostrich » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:43 pm

Good to know! I suspected as much.
flyingostrich

Postby BubbaJoe123 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:23 am

When you say "newly remodeled," is this a "apartment's getting new cabinets and floors," or "old factory building is being converted to apartments" situation? If the latter, then the building might not have a valid certificate of occupancy until the renovations are done.
BubbaJoe123

Postby TenantNet » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:58 pm

Bubba, a CofO depends on a change of use (i.e, from manufacturing to residential), not new floors or cabinets being installed. And as I'm sure you know, a CofO is a creature of NYC law, not "state inspectors." And even with that, not all CofO changes get inspectors from NYC DOB.

I happen to know this poster is not in NYS.

TenantNet

Postby BubbaJoe123 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:54 pm

TenantNet wrote:Bubba, a CofO depends on a change of use (i.e, from manufacturing to residential), not new floors or cabinets being installed.

Which is exactly why I asked if this was an "old factory building is being converted to apartments" situation.

TenantNet wrote:And as I'm sure you know, a CofO is a creature of NYC law, not "state inspectors." And even with that, not all CofO changes get inspectors from NYC DOB. I happen to know this poster is not in NYS.

Not clear what your point is here. CofOs aren't just an NYC thing, they exist across the country.
BubbaJoe123

Postby TenantNet » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:50 pm

The point is that you're reading things into the post that don't exist, or which the poster did not suggest.

TenantNet

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York