TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Is landlord double-dipping? (Indiana)

Moderator: TenantNet

Is landlord double-dipping? (Indiana)

Postby sef1268 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:40 am

Husband and I are breaking our lease, largely due to his illness (we wanted to live closer to my job, so that I can respond faster to emergencies; found a suitable rental soon after renewing current lease). Current lease states that, if we break our lease, we forfeit our damage deposit and must pay $75 for the number of months remaining in the lease (lease was renewed August 1, 2018). I was aware of the "$75 a month" clause, but didn't realize that we also lose our deposit. Just noticed it after digging out the lease while packing.

We agreed to this by signing our lease, so I assume there is no recourse at this point, but it seems a little like double-dipping -- particularly if he rents our current unit right away (and there is a housing shortage in our area, so I'm sure it will be rented again in short order).

Can anyone advise if losing our deposit on top of a monthly fee is legal in the State of Indiana? I have Googled it, but can't seem to find anything that addresses both loss of damage deposit and the monthly fee for remaining number of months in the lease.
sef1268

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York