TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord in Westchester is telling me he can’t evict me

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord in Westchester is telling me he can’t evict me

Postby ErikS37 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:54 pm

I live in a Sponsor unit in a residential cooperative in Westchester County. In White Plains. My landlord said to me on the phone that it is illegal for him to evict me or raise my rent because of New York State. I don’t believe him. I think he’s trying to lull me into a false sense of complacency and entice me into not paying rent so he can evict me and destroy my credit rating so I can’t find another place to live. Is this true? He claims he can’t evict anyone in the state of New York right now for any reason. Is this really true?
ErikS37

Re: Landlord in Westchester is telling me he can’t evict me

Postby ErikS37 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:00 pm

In addition, he’s said it doesn’t matter whether or not I pay rent. Or whether anyone in a unit he owns pays rent. He won’t repair anything and gives me the impression that I’m entirely on my own. As if he’s not a landlord at all. What makes him a landlord if he doesn’t even care if I pay rent and won’t address any problems I have in the unit.
ErikS37

Postby TenantNet » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:41 pm

You live in a coop unit, but are you a regular tenant, or a person who owns coop shares (and it technically a tenant of the coop corporation?)

If a regular tenant, were you in occupancy prior to the conversion, and if so are you still rent stab?

Have you not been reading the papers or watching the news?

There's a lot going on right now, so when he says it's illegal, well that could mean different things. There's the NYS moratorium which does prevent evictions through January 15 (that could be extended). You would still owe any outstanding rent, but an eviction would not proceed. But things are fluid, so you have to know your rights at any given time.

If you haven't paid rent, there's the ERAP program that will make-up unpaid rent, but as of right now, that program has ended for new applications. If might be reopened, but no one knows. It also put a hold on actual evictions.

If RS, your rent if determined by DHCR or the Westchester RGB, which can be different than the NYC RGB.

Your LL needs to be specific. But better if you know more than him.

If you have the rent and have no reason to withhold it, then go ahead.

For repairs, there are things you can do, but that's another discussion. Look at many threads on this forum about repairs.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby ErikS37 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:40 pm

I do not own cooperative shares.

And my landlord hates me. Shouts at me nonstop like a psychotic anytime I try and have a dialogue about anything. As do the cooperative shareholders that live below and next to me. And the superintendent of the building ignores me completely. Says I am not an owner and he will not perform any services for me at all. I’m living in Hell.
ErikS37

Postby TenantNet » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:31 am

If you don't own coop shares, then you are a regular tenant (not to be confused with shareholders, also called tenants).

You didn't answer all our other questions. You seem to be operating on emotion. Look at the facts and your legal status.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York