TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

False claim by landlord

Moderator: TenantNet

False claim by landlord

Postby virenp98 » Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:01 am

I moved out of my old apartment and in few weeks I receive a letter from the landlord saying that I owe them money. The reason is this - The landlord provides both furnished and unfurnished apartments. I opted for unfurnished apartment right from the beginning, the rent for which is obviously less than a furnished apartment. The agreement is clearly stated on the lease. Now the landlord sends me a letter saying that they found furniture in my apartment and I had a furnished apartment for the whole year and I just paid for an unfurnished apartment and so I owe them money which is contrary to the fact because I had an unfurnished apartment.
What should I do ? Any ideas?
virenp98

Re: False claim by landlord

Postby ChrisG » Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:27 am

i'd photocopy your old lease and mail it to him, explaining that you had a written contract to pay rent for the price specified on the lease. now that the contract has expired, you have no binding connection to the guy anymore. landlords can't go back in time and force you to pay "ex post facto", especially in a case like this, in which there has been no damage of any kind. what's this furniture they 'found' in your apartment anyhow? did you leave it behind? please don't tell me what the landlord meant by 'unfurnished' was that you weren't allowed to have any furniture at all! :)
ChrisG

Re: False claim by landlord

Postby virenp98 » Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:18 pm

Thanks for the input ChrisG.. Well, by a furnished apartment, I meant that the landlord provides the basic furniture. And unfurnished means they do not provide it but we can have our own. I cleaned up the place completely and moved out all furniture owned by me. The place was then basically empty. The landlord claims that they found the furniture in my apartment that they provide for furnished apartments. I have absolutely no idea how did they find any furniture in my apt.
virenp98

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York