TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Potential Issue or Not?

Moderator: TenantNet

Potential Issue or Not?

Postby jtmason3 » Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:33 pm

Hello, I am currently renting a furnished townhouse in California from the owner of the house. Not only is the house furnished, but the owner kept many of her things throughout the house including possibly priceless paintings, various cloth-like decorations, and the like. Before signing the lease, my wife and I made it clear that we would only have a deal if we could move many of her things to storage, becuase we have a 5 year old son, who happens to be autistic, and would have a field day with these things. She said this was fine, as long as we did not touch a specific bookcase. We did not get this in writing unfortunately.

Long story short, the owner, who returns periodically to the garage to stay in between her world travels(this was agreed beforehand although weird) has frequently come on the premises and stated that we should not have disturbed anything in the house including the backyard which also houses may "decorations". She then explained that she practices Fen Shui, which means nothing can be disturbed or her entire life is out of balance.

This issue is really straigning the relationship, and we fear she may try something as far as eviction or with our substantial security deposit. In the lease there is a clause which states "tenant will not alter or redecorate the premises without written approval" which scares me further. MY question is does she have any rights here to say we are in violation of the lease because of this spiritual/religious setting that we were unaware of? Same question as far as using the Security Deposit becuase we moved these priceless paintings.

Thx
jtmason3

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York