TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can a landlord evict a tenant for not paying rent becaus

Moderator: TenantNet

Can a landlord evict a tenant for not paying rent becaus

Postby bankruptanddown » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:52 pm

More specifically, My rent is $625 per month and I informed my landlord that I needed to short my February rent payment $250 in order to pay the legal fees for my Chpt. 7 Bankruptcy. I told them I would pay back the money $75 per month including a late fee and they said "NO!!!" They told me they would evict me if I shorted the rent. I am disabled and only receive a little over $900 per month from Social Security and I barely scrape by each month as it is, but with the Bankruptcy, I could afford the extra $75 per month to pay the rent back. Can they legally evict me if I go through with it? If they can, Is there a way to add my rent payment to the Bankruptcy? Please help me!!! If anyone knows about this, please please please help me!!! I live in NJ if that helps with any laws pertaining to it. Thank you!
bankruptanddown

Re: Can a landlord evict a tenant for not paying rent becaus

Postby Downtown » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:36 am

Do you have a lease...as this gives you greater protection.
LL is under no obligation to accept a partial payment. I don't know if in NJ filing bankruptcy protects you from eviction. Check with a local tenant group and see if this is so and if you have any further protection based on your disability.
Could you possibly save the money and file later. Maybe, take in a roommate for a month or so.
Check with social services and see if any help is available.
Downtown

Re: Can a landlord evict a tenant for not paying rent becaus

Postby questionten » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:40 pm

Will the lawyer who is handling your bankruptcy claim accept a payment plan instead?
questionten

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York