TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

breach of lease situation

Moderator: TenantNet

breach of lease situation

Postby nkundina » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:02 pm

hello, my LL filed a suit against me for the breach of lease. Here is the situation. My LL son owns a one family building. They repaired basement and rented it to us. I lived there for six months and then i had to move out, because the heat system did not work. My question is, can be my defence a prove that this was one family house and they did not have rights to rent it to me? :confused:
nkundina

Re: breach of lease situation

Postby Anna » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:00 pm

Yes.

There were a few posts on this issue of illegal apts in the past month. Browse thru all forums and read them and the links in them.

<small>[ December 10, 2004, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]</small>
Anna

Postby Iddabiddy35 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:15 am

I would like to comment that any one thinking about renting any space/apartment in any single family or two family (etc.) house should ask for a copy of the CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY immediately to validate that it has passes inspection and is ready for human beings to occupy.
Iddabiddy35

Postby Iddabiddy35 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:26 pm

You should ask the LL to see his/her copy of the CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY. If they do not have one to show you - stay far, far away. You can also go to the Building Department in the local Town Hall to get a copy of the CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY.
I understand that for a basement apartment or any apartment in a single family house, to qualify for a CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY, there has to be TWO (2) ways of egress (ways to get out) and the size of the exit must be large enough for a fireperson to enter the apartment carrying a 5 pound weight on his/her back.
I hope this information helps you.
Iddabiddy35

Postby Iddabiddy35 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:29 pm

You should ask the LL to see his/her copy of the CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY. If they do not have one to show you - stay far, far away. You can also go to the Building Department in the local Town Hall to get a copy of the CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY.
I understand that for a basement apartment or any apartment in a single family house, to qualify for a CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY, there has to be TWO (2) ways of egress (ways to get out) and the size of the exit must be large enough for a fireperson to enter the apartment carrying a 5 pound weight on his/her back.
I hope this information helps you.
Iddabiddy35

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York