TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

I need some help--FAST!

Moderator: TenantNet

I need some help--FAST!

Postby alexag » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:58 pm

PLEASE HELP!
I live in SC and signed a month-to-month lease with my landlord. He was a great landlord,no problems,but then he decides to sell the duplex that we live in. Along come the new owners who have an attitude problem. My husband and I have asked them repeatedly during the closing what they were going to do (increase in rent) If we had known we would have given our notice on the spot,instead of now. They are incredibly unreasonable and we just want to get out.
When our thirty days are up, and our landlords give us the security deposit, how will they go about determining the condition that the apartment was in before we moved in? They bought the house as is (and it needs lots of repair,it is an old house)and there are lots of problems that were evident when we took the apt;that is why rent was so cheap. Will they forfeit the money, or can they,by law, keep the security for whatever they decide is wrong with the apartment?
I am afraid that we are going to be taken for a ride and we do not want to be stepped on any more. PLEASE PLEASE help!!
alexag

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York