TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

stuck windows

Moderator: TenantNet

stuck windows

Postby Lmaury » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:41 pm

Hi,

I just received my renewal lease for my apartment, which is rent-stabilized. It has the standard rent increase on it, but I think I have grounds to negotiate a renewal without the increase and would like outside opinions.

When I moved in, I was unable to open the windows. I notified my super (I had no number for my landlord or the rental company, only the super to rely on) way back in early February. He didn't do anything about it until March, and then only fixed the window in my bedroom. He didn't get around to fixing the window in my livingroom/kitchen until July--that's the window that leads to my fire escape.

So I went from January until July with no way to open the window and escape from my apartment in case of a fire. And even now, the situation is not satisfactory; I can open my fire-escape window, but not latch it. So I have no way to keep someone out if they want to climb the fire escape.

When someone came in to sub for the super, they gave me the number for the rental company. It turns out that they never heard of the problems I had. The super never told them, so perhaps they cannot be held at fault, but until a few weeks ago, the super was the only contact I had for the rental company. I tried sending them a letter a few months ago, but received no reply. I suspect it did not go through, as I put it in with my rent check, which the super collects himself.

So, do I have a case, and if so, how to I proceed?
Lmaury

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York