TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Drunk LL in apt...can I break lease??

Moderator: TenantNet

Drunk LL in apt...can I break lease??

Postby renterbl » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:34 am

I live in FL; moved into my apartment 1/6 but my lease is dated as beginning on 2/1. My one heating unit (a combo heat/AC unit) has been faulty and it's been cold. LL's maintenance person switched it out today...promptly and all...new one is broken. I left a message. She let herself into my apt. tonight, with her boyfriend, DRUNK, slurring, barely able to stand, reeking, pressing all sorts of buttons; when I told her we needed to deal with this the next day when we were all sober she got mad and walked out. So still have faulty heat plus nutty maintenance person (she actually might be a part owner, I don't know). In addition, the termite damage here is so extensive that there are dangerous sharp deep ruts in the floor, a hazard to walk on. And, there are termite eggs falling out of the ceiling. And, stray cats and possums entering the building. And, she drunkenly told me she rewired the brand new heater so it would fit the outlet. And, the neighbor below has surround sound.
I think I need to move the hell out of here. My lease technically hasn't even started yet, but I don't know if that matters. She told me they would putty the floors but I would need to be gone for a week. I said I would take that week off the rent as well as take off the hotel charge, and this should have been done before I moved in. I don't want to live here if this nut just lets herself into my place and walks into my living room, and I'm going to cut my foot on the floor, and be infested. Can I break my lease? Thanks.
renterbl

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York