TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Wisconsin - Realtor showing property too often?

Moderator: TenantNet

Wisconsin - Realtor showing property too often?

Postby sapling » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:20 pm

I am renting a duplex in Madison, WI. The landlord is trying to sell the property and has potential buyers coming in once or twice a week to show the place. Also, I have been warned potential renters (not buyers) will begin seeing the place in April, probably as often. Is there any limit to how often a landlord can reasonably show an apartment? I value my privacy and find this to be pretty invasive.

I am particularly annoyed because the landlord took down the "For Sale" sign until just days after we signed the lease, although several weeks later a property manager told me he'd been trying to sell it for over 6 months. We weren't told it was for sale, and with the sign taken down I feel like they deliberately misled us.

Also, later this month I am having a group of friends visit from out of town and we'll be staying in my apartment for a day. A week ago I called the realtor to ask her not to show the apartment that day because I was having company. She told me at first that would be impossible for her to keep track of (which I find very odd), and finally told me after I insisted that she could "make a note in my file, but couldn't promise anything".

Another reason this is particularly problematic in my case is I have 2 cats - which is allowed by my lease - but one of them is NOT people-friendly. He is very aggressive towards strangers so I don't dare leave him in the apartment for the showings. Everytime they show the apartment during the day while I'm at work I have to have him boarded or take him to a friend's house if one is available. I realize this is not the realtor's fault, but it does give me more incentive to try to change the situation.

At this point, I am just about ready to find a subletter and move, but I feel silly as my lease is up in August, only a few months away.

Also - I approached the property managers about the realtors excessive showing one week after moving in (the realtor showed the house 3 times in the first 5 days after I moved in, which came as quite a shock since I didn't know the house was for sale.) I was told there really isn't anything they can do. I asked them if they could only come when I'm not at work but they said "Oh they only come during the week, during the day.", which is not the case since they have shown it Sat/Sun, evenings, etc. However, the property manager is not willing to help in this other than telling me "They think it will sell soon." (I'm so glad they have a crystal ball, since the last 10 months of failed attempts don't give me much hope.)

Any suggestions appreciated. :confused:
sapling

Re: Wisconsin - Realtor showing property too often?

Postby Downtown » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:09 am

Obviously, LL knew that if "for sale" sign out there might not be able to find a tenant.
That said and that broker also does not respect your privacy....would change your lock (put original back in when leaving).
You have the right to be present when place is shown. Guessing that also have the right to proper notice (24hrs)...can check with State Attorney's office, google Wisconson tenant laws, call state realty board.
Inform realtor that there will be no access except with your approval. If LL doesn't like that...then let him/her try to take you to court. LL lied about sale. You did not agree to move in to realtor showing up.
Downtown

Postby HardKnocks » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:43 pm

You are under no obligation to turn your daily life upside down to make the sale of the building easier for your LL. I hope you've been charging him for the cat-boarding fees too.

Surely there is a version of this site in your state, or an official state site that outlines your rights as a tenant. There must be a law with regard to required notice of the LL entering your apt.
HardKnocks

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:31 pm

Originally posted by WIRenter:
Is there any limit to how often a landlord can reasonably show an apartment? I value my privacy and find this to be pretty invasive.
]
Unless your lease specifically says you have to allow them to show the apartment you may be under no obligation to allow the realtor at all.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Simillar Issue here

Postby rgmilla » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:09 am

Hi,

I have simillar issue here. The Leasing Office keep giving me note that they will either have the unit inspected or prospective buyer show.

I live in an appartment that just got converted into a condominium. The new owner bought the whole community and gave us as tenant to buy.

I decided to exercise my right as tenant. So I buy a unit different that
I live in but still in the same community, same seller same leasing office (with diff owner) on February 18 2006 and until now the unit is not
ready yet because either the paper documents or upgrades being done.

Problem is that the Leasing Company (twin sister of the Owner) wants
to enter the Unit to show the prospective buyer.

I in my defense said NO because I am not feeling comfortable to allow
stranger to look around too often (They had some forced enter before
the new owner bought the whole community). I asked the Sales dept (the other twin sister) to speed up the upgrade on the unit. Their answer is going no where. Can you imagine I put a deposit to hold the unit on Feb 18 2006 and up to now June 26 2006 for about 4 months, I has not yet received the key.

I keep telling the sales manager that I will not have this planned forced enter if they deliver the unit on time. They can not say anything.

Right now the leasing office keep intimidating me with their note on my front door about the forced enter to my unit.

I hope I can find the solution even if I have to go to court. Any feedback everybody ?

thanks,

Roger
rgmilla

Postby Downtown » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:53 am

Read your lease, as to clause on entering for repairs, inspection. In NY it is 1 week written.
Why not arrange for a time when you will be there to allow inspection. Since you will be buying unit with same company, might be wiser to try and accomodate inspection request. As to showing to buyers, same proceedure....set up reasonable time when you can be there.
Downtown

Too Often

Postby rgmilla » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:26 pm

Hi,

That is what I am thinking, inspections and repairs. There is no repair
call from Tenant which is me. I do not see why they use inspection reason
right after I said no to their request to enter with prospective buyer show
as the reason.

And also the reason is Too Often. I had been forced enter many times
last year before the new company bought the community. And several times after the new company bought the community. Oh well,
is that true just because we are Tenant makes we have no more privacy
over LL private needs ?

And I lived in San Francisco since 2002 to end of 2004 and not a single
time the Manager do like this without any repair call from Tenant.

Does any body can tell what is the consequences if I just lock the unit
from inside or do anything to prevent the enter ? Let this will be bitter
end up happy ending outside the court. :( :(

thanks,

Roger
rgmilla

Postby Downtown » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:09 am

Bottom line....you plan on buying into this community. Why, not allow reasonable access for showing apt. (inspection is probably to figure out what needs to be renovated when you move).
You have to live there.
Downtown

Too Often

Postby rgmilla » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:51 pm

On the other hand, reasonable time is not supposed to be the same with too often inspection. That is the key of my reason not to give reasonable time. And I believe that also the main title of this post.

thanks any way, I will go figure this out by contacting housing dept.
Wait a minute. Let me guess, are you a LL also ? coz you sound like one.
The one I have problem with.

Roger
rgmilla

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York